In order for high-quality content producers to publish free online content, revenue generating ads must be seen. Yet, despite 63% of US adults agreeing that society would be worse off without free or low-cost access to premium online content, ad blocker adoption continues to increase at an alarming rate. This trend is threatening the profitability of digital media, editorial and entertainment companies, with 22 billion revenue dollars lost in 2015 as a direct result of the software’s popularity.
In an effort to understand why users download ad blockers, Teads and launched an extensive study, whereby respondents described the key reasons that compelled them to install, or not install, ad blockers. Here are a few key highlights from the study:
1. Respondents cited intrusive or annoying ad formats as the main motivator behind their decision to install ad blockers.
2. Intrusive video formats influence how users accept or reject ads. For example, pre-roll ads are frequently ranked as the most intrusive video format when compared to native video ads.
3. 80% of respondents agreed that formats that provide the choice to view reduce their motivation to block ads. Creating advertising formats that are user-friendly, granting users with the choice to engage with or ignore the content, is key improving the state of advertising.
4. Most respondents find advertising distasteful. In fact, many claimed that they want to see ads that are relevant to the products and/or services they like. This finding emphasizes the importance of exercising excellent targeting strategies when rolling out ad campaigns.
5. The ultimate takeaway that Teads found was that we can alleviate the frustrations online users feel towards advertising by only working with relevant, non-intrusive ad formats.
To learn more about how you can ramp up your advertising strategy to exceed performance standards and effectively appeal to target audiences, we highly advise that you download the full study, infographic and one pager today
Gain additional information on how ad blockers impact access to premium online content at our Advertising Matters page, and download the Manifesto for Sustainable Advertising.